Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Oliver's First Christmas


Oliver is in the Christmas spirit.
   Christmas this year has taken on new meaning for us. Oliver is seven months old and although I know he won't remember it, it has special meaning for me and Easan. Christmas has always been a time to hang out with family, exchange gifts, drink too much wine and play silly games that end up in vulgar hilarity. The holiday traditions for me start with my mom's Christmas tree. She always puts up the most amazing tree. It is huge, sparkling with lights and dripping with ornaments. My mom was super thoughtful and collected ornaments for me since I was little, so I have a great selection for decorating my own tree. This year I wasn't really in the mood for a tree. Our living room is overflowing with baby stuff and I didn't want to add another thing I would have to clean up after. When I told Easan I didn't want a tree he indignantly exclaimed "But we HAVE to! For OLIVER!" I didn't realize he felt so strongly about it. I relented and we got a tree the next weekend. 
Mom would only let me chew
the soft ornaments
   Decorating the tree with Easan and Oliver was a great afternoon. Easan is usually a huge scrooge about Christmas stuff. He had me cracking up after one vehement rant about christmas scents: "What is the deal with all the damn Christmas smells? NO ONE LIKES CINAMMON, OR GINGERBREAD, OR PUMPKIN SPICE!!!" Well I guess the christmas industry had it wrong all these years. After I accused him of being a scrooge about Christmas, he bought his nieces advent calendars and exclaimed "SEE! I'm  FUN! I bought advent calendars!" Let the good times roll. 
    Anyway, in a completely uncharacteristically festive mood, Easan put on some christmas music and was helping me decorate the tree. "Whats with the music? I thought you hated Christmas music." I asked him. He declared that since it was Oliver's first christmas, it was a different and that he could tolerate some christmas songs. He did have to sing along, changing all the lyrics to be inappropriate and usually about farts. Christmas fart songs always get you in the holiday spirit.  
Every little kid needs an Elmo
We spent Christmas Day at Grandma and Grandpa Selvan's house with the entire Selvan clan. It was fairly chaotic with twelve people and a mountain of presents. Poor Little Oliver was fighting an ear infection so he had a bit of a rough day. After it all I was thinking about Christmas with a baby and how it all seems more important now. Being with family sometimes feels like an obligation as an adult. But now that I am responsible for the healthy development of a tiny yet awesome human I realize that it is about building a foundation. These people are part of his foundation and spending the holidays together creates some of his earliest and strongest memories. I know in years to come there will be lots more kids (not all mine) and that means a whole chorus of fart songs. Strong foundations, that's what it is all about. 
Wrapping paper tubes make great swords




2 comments:

  1. Isn't Christmas so much more fun with babies and kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is. Their excitement for it all is refreshing.

      Delete